Sunday, June 26, 2011

Indianapolis Amish/Design Wall

Only two quilts to share today, but lots of detail shots because these photos came out so well. You can really see the luschious, deep saturated color.








An Amish star quilt...










Oh, I loved this one!






I had a notion to make a new quilt for my back porch. Most of the 3 inch 9 patchs were already made, so this is going fairly quickly. The sashing will probably be a gray - a secondary mourning type. Initially the plan was for black, but the blocks keep telling me "no!".

Some of the blues began life as bricks for the Texas Braid quilt. The leftovers from that will be around for years!

I'm not sure if I'll use half blocks around the edges, or introduce another fabric for triangles to finish the design. If it ends up being half blocks, I may just make full blocks and chop them off. This is supposed to be easy-breezey, so we'll see if I have the nerve to do it!

13 comments:

Sharon said...

I think your new quilt for your back porch is going to be beautiful! Can't wait to see it completed. Hope you are having a peaceful weekend!

ann hermes said...

I love those Amish quilts, especially the blue color in the first one. Your new quilt is coming along nicely; I love it too.

Barb said...

Loved the quilts....thanks for showing...the one you are doing looks wonderful!

Nicky said...

Those Amish quilts are just so beautiful as is your porch quilt - love the colours and the setting.

Karen said...

I like the combo of the blue, chrome yellow, and reddish brown in the first quilt.

Janet O. said...

To me Amish quilts have a classic beauty to them--simple lines with strong colors. Thanks for showing them.
I can see what you say about the blocks in your quilt saying no to black sashing. I often sash scrappy quilts with black, but it doesn't always "fit". It is looking like a very fun quilt. Serendipitous to have a great quilt come together from leftover units.

Cathy said...

Love the Amish quilts. Your quilt on the design wall is beautiful. Hugs.

Susie said...

Great coloring on the Amish quilts.
I love those stripes, too.

Dawn said...

Love those Amish quilts. Partial to the onbe w all the color.
Your project looks fabulous - love that mix of fabrics too!

Lori said...

The quilts are pretty amazing! They are so simple and graphic.
What a cute project you are working on. I love 1/2 blocks!

Barb said...

I'm with Lori, I love 1/2 blocks too. Great nine patch quilt!
Love the Amish quilts. They are always winners in my book.
Hoping to make one of my own next year.

Janet said...

Love the quilts, simple but elegant too.
Question, what is the quilt pattern
on top of your blog, it is beautiful. I love antique quilts.
That is, I like to make my own reversion of them.

Marilyn Robertson said...

Jan, the Backporch quilt is going tone a beauty! Thanks for the mini quilt show too!