Thursday, February 4, 2010

This and That

I visited Common Threads Quilting in Waxahachie, TX last Saturday.  This shop was featured in Quilt Sampler, Spring/Summer 2007.  It's a great shop for repro lovers.  I wanted to take a pic of all the stacks of repro bolts, but the shop is loaded with samples.  I couldn't get a shot without intruding on someone's work.  So, I'll share pics of the front windows (sorry for the glass glare).



I did a little stash enhancement.  This first stack is from the 50% sale!  Sale fabric encourages me to step outside my zone.  Often these pieces are just what I need when pulling a quilt together late at night.  Do you find that to be true?  You pick it up because it's on sale, even though it's something you would pass up at full price, and then it's exactly the quirky piece you need!

This is my 'full price' pile. - all Judy Rothermel fabric.  The bottom two pieces are from the Civil War Tribute line and the top is from Patchwork Heritage Classics (great cheddar piece).   



 

15 comments:

Monica said...

You went to one of my favorite shops! I live about an hour away from Waxahachie. You chose some wonderful prints and colors!

There is also a great quilt shop in Burleson,TX, (near Fort Worth) called Country Stitches that carries a lot of reproduction prints. It's worth checking out too.

Kim said...

I love the block! AND the fabric purchases! It seems the more my stash grows, the more I'm drawn to the 'off' quirky pieces! And you're right...it's usually just what a quilt needs!!

Sherrill said...

That's a GREAT shop! Course, we have a LOT of great shops here..Lone Star House of Quilts in Arlington is yet another with fantastic repros. Were you visiting someone here? Hope you come back soon (when it's nicer weather! lol).

Dolly said...

That block is great looking !

I'm all about the quirky.....my friends call it ugly fabric, but when they try to BUY me ugly fabric, then I'M the one that thinks it's ugly. When I pick it, I think it's great !

Janet said...

I'd love to visit a shop like that. I can still see thelovely quilts through the window. I've been buying outside of my comfort zone lately, Just what I need too.

Karen said...

I have been to Waxahachie but I was not into quilting then. It is a nice small town with some unique shopping.

The "T" block looks very vintage. I hope you will have a quilt top to show soon.

Anonymous said...

Great pictures of the shop...always fun to visit other places, isn't it?
Interesting how you have the same fabric running down the middle of the T-block...will look forward to see how you finish the quilt.

Lori said...

It's fun to visit a shop with lots of samples and a good sale!!!
I really like the double T block and can't wait to see the whole quilt.

Rita said...

I got to visit this shop this past summer while vacationing in Texas. I LOVED it!!! I truly wish I lived closer; however, they do have a nice website, too.

Ruth said...

I just went to Common Threads yesterday! I'm lucky enough to live about 30 min. away. What an awesome shop. I could go crazy there and almost did. Hee Hee!

Taryn said...

What an inviting looking shop. I can't wait to see your finished "T" quilt. I started one ages ago so you've tempted me to get it out again.

Sarah said...

That T block is beautiful. Great use of colour. :-)

libbyquilter said...

you got some wonderful fabrics and that shop sounds like a winner~!~ i LOVE your "quirky" choices~!!~

the T block is so antique looking~!!~ really beautiful~!!~

:)
libbyQ

Barb said...

I adore "t" quilts. This one is going to be great - wonderful colors!

Unknown said...

I used to live in Waxahachie, many, many years ago. It was a small town then, but I imagine it has grown. I love your pink and brown quilt!