Monday, December 23, 2013

Wrapping Up the Old Year



I'm wrapping up 2013 with a finished doll quilt top.  Last Saturday I picked up Crib Quilts and Other Small Wonders by Thos. K. Woodard and Blanche Greenstein at the library (I have this book at home, but not in my current location) with no intention of starting anything new.  That evening the hubster had 'control of the controller' - we have very different TV viewing interests.  So, what to do?  Start cutting from the meager strips I have with me for a doll quilt that caught my eye earlier in the day!  The stars were invisible when I was piecing (had to squint real hard), but they stand out in this photo.  Unfortunately, I didn't have enough of a light fabric that I could use as a constant.


The Variable Star inspirational quilt is on pg 26.  It was made in the second quarter of the 19th century.  The dimensions are given as 41" x 38", but this must be a misprint.  The quilt is 13 x 9 blocks (a difference of 4).  That would make the block size under 1" which would make for very different dimensions.  My block units are 1" making the pieced area 13" x 9". 

I did a little staging on a doll bed I picked up earlier in the year.  The mattress is a cocktail table book and the bedshirt is an orphaned lace doily picked up at flea markets/yard sales.  Don't you hate to see those bins of handwork jumbled together with a $1 tag?  The quilt top will be too small for this bed, but it looks great by the Christmas tree.


I visited the Edison and Ford Winter Estates in Fort Myers, FL last week.  The properties were all dressed up for the season. 

Edison's Library

Christmas Tree in Edison's Home

Ford's Maid's Room


Thanks for stopping by and visiting with Jan and me this year.  We love to read your comments and appreciate your enthusiasm for and support of our shared passion for antique textiles.


From my home to yours - "Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night!"

15 comments:

Janet O. said...

Love the little doll quilt! Looks great in its makeshift setting. Who would know it didn't belong there on its book mattress and doily bedskirt? : )

Dolly said...

I got a kick out of the comment about "controlling the controller". How I can relate !

But I am sorry to say that I don't make nearly as good use of that time as you have.....I'm usually browsing these quilty blogs, rather than quilting myself !

But I do believe that your version of the little quilt is much more striking than the one that inspired you. I say hurrah for limited choices !

Merry Christmas ! Be blessed in the name of and by the birth of our Saviour, Jesus Christ !

regan said...

Vicki, I love your doll quilt! And it's so sweet on that little bed, doily and all! Excellent choices for your fabrics, too, even though you were limited.

I was at the Edison/Ford compound during the summer a few years ago....I'll bet it's lovely when all decked out!

And if you are still in the Ft. Myers area, I hope you have time to go to Norman Love Chocolatier. You won't be sorry. And stop next door at his Gelato shop....also awesome! lol

Merry Christmas!

Janet said...

I love Ford's maid's quilt!! I love Tree of Life quilts :0) Your teeny, tiny quilt is amazing!! I had no idea it was so small in the first picture. It is adorable on the little bed. Merry Christmas and happy stitching in 2014!

Sandy said...

I love your doll quilt, especially set up on the bed like that. Such an adorable vignette!

Merry Christmas!

love,
Sandy















Lori said...

Merry Christmas and a blessed rest of 2013!
Love your little quilt.

Cynthia@wabisabiquilts said...

Your little quilt is so pretty and so charming on the bed with the doily etc. Sometimes the prettiest quilts are created when we don't quite have unlimited fabric options!

Cyndi said...

Absolutely love your little quilt and proves that Something can really be made from what you consider Nothing! The doll bed is also adorable as is the little vignette you made!!

Jamie said...

Hey Kindred Spirit....was looking at that same pattern yesterday! love your quilt. Love your new chest!
Lovely post....always looking forward to the next postings on your blog.
Jamie

Jamie said...

Love the birds!
Filling my feeders at first light!
Thanks for the new Chintz quilter blog!

Jan...ouch! Take care!
Jamie

Jamie said...

Love your quilt....cannot believe the wonderful quilts you create with the greatest part of your stash back home! Bravo!
Thank you for the blog sites on the side bar.....Went to Little Welsh Quilts and Humble Quilts today.....both were so inspirational as to what to do for my first "new" quilt for 2014!
Yesterday we were freezing in Texas, unusual for us, but nothing like our dear friends up north, and today I am piecing in front of the open windows in my quilt studio....Mother Earth definitely has her ways of letting us know who's in control!

Millie said...

I love the little doll quilt. Happy New Year.

Anonymous said...

So many things I love in this post, doll bed and quilt is oh so beautiful

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.