Sunday, August 7, 2011

Fabric Cleanout/Bloomington Pics

The temperature in the sewing room hasn't been condusive to productivity lately, but a couple of nights ago, I somehow started going through the green stash. So many of these really don't have any good purpose for reproduction quilts. I suppose that some of the darker ones would be good for appliqueing leaves or vines, but I'm not sure that they would be selected if I had a project like that going. I think these are going to be relocated to the storage boxes that house the fabric for donation quilts. A few of them did have a nice reverse side of solid greens that I liked. So they survived the cull.

Well, I wouldn't leave you hanging without some eye candy! Here are two of my favorites of the Bloomington Star Exhibit that Vicki and I attended.

Lizzie Borden's family quilt inspired this one.

Love this pillar print, and don't you know that I just happened to find a great fabric to reproduce this reproduction! Add yet another one to the list!
This one has the zigzag edge that I love so much, and a great, sharp yellow to grab your attention.





These, as well as the others in the exhibit, are reproductions of antique quilts done in a crib quilt size.

18 comments:

ann hermes said...

I love both the reproduction quilts you posted. You're right, that yellow does'grab you.

Lisa said...

OMG! They are both awesome! I have that pillar in blue. I don't know if I could actually USE it, though. :)

Mary Marcotte said...

Love those reproduction quilts. They look like old quilts that have been well cared for.

How do you cull? I just can't bring myself to toss anything!

Marilyn Robertson said...

Thanks for the eye candy! They are beauties for sure. Culling out fabric is necessary from time to time. A box of fabric for donations quilts is a great idea!

Lisa said...

Okay, I love that Borden quilt so much I just bought some of the brown pillar print, too, and it's all your fault. :P

liz said...

There is something about a zig zag...Good for you for tidying up your stash, that is hard work.

antique quilter said...

oh I just happen to have some of that border print too!
beautiful quilt...but I really love the second quilt with the zig zag borders, love how she set this quilt.
great stars too, using different fabrics like that really makes the blocks interesting...
thank you for sharing this one is going on the list!
thanks for sharing and good for you cleaning up the fabric , ah yes donation pile is good for some of these fabrics you could always look thru that pile/box when your making a quilt in case one of those fabrics would be good for a stem!
Kathie

Nicky said...

The second quilt is fantastic! Love that yellow and the zig zag border!

Jilly said...

Among all especially I like second quilt, it is fantastic and like that yellow and the zig zag border. I visited so many blogs but never seen this much beautiful photograph any blogs.
hediyelik eşya

Tonya Ricucci said...

Jan, I challenge you to cut 1.5 inch strips and make a Lego quilt with them. The inspiration for my quilt was an antique - so believe me when I say one of these quilts made with all repros would be amazing. seriously, try it.

Lori said...

I love greens as there are so many different varieties. If it is too hot to sew its nice to make room for fabric you love.
The antique quilts are so lovely! I'm always amazed at how vibrant some of those colors stay.

Dawn said...

Love the pillar quilt - What a greta example and thanks for the detail shots. The dark inner border is interesting. The zig-zag nice...but the pillar with the stars is...well...Fabulous!
Congrats on the clean out - I need to do one...

Kyle said...

Thanks for the inspiration today, both in the antique quilts, love the zigzag and for doing some stash busting.

Barb said...

Good for you - My stash could use some cleaning up.
Great antique quilts. I love the star quilt with the zig zag - I have a serious thing for the zig zag.

Browndirtcottage said...

OH MY OH MY....someone catch me!!! I'm swooning over that star quilt!!

I.LIKE.

I.WANT.

Barbara J said...

Thanks Jan for coming by my blog. I tried to email you but it was was blocked as spam :(

I still have not got the curtains done :(

Love your blog and particularly like the post by Vicki on the Jacob's Ladder. Really like it and I think I might get sucked into it sooner more than later!

The dangers of blog reading?

Karen said...

I like the gold plaid with the blue star backgrounds.

Unknown said...

I am looking at your stash and I am drooling! I am just getting back into the whole sewing world again. I have made some fun blocks since starting all over but wow what I could make if I had a stash like yours! LOL
I really am enjoying your blog. Thanks for doing such a great job.