Amelia Heiskell Lauck (1760 - 1842) lived in Winchester, VA where she and her husband, Peter, ran the Red Lion Inn and raised their family (eleven children of which six survived to adulthood). Amelia was an accomplished quiltmaker with possible assistance from household slaves. At least four of her quilts have survived (three of which are inscribed as gifts to her children), two in the Colonial Williamsburg collection and two owned by the DAR (one of the DAR quilts could have been made by Amelia's daughter-in-law). All four quilts are currently on display - two in the Williamsburg's exhibit 'A Rich and Varied Culture, The Textiles of the Early South' and two in the DAR exhibit, 'Eye on Elegance'. The quilts from this post are from the Williamsburg exhibit where photos were allowed.
This quilt was a wedding gift to Amelia's son Morgan and his bride married on May 26, 1824. The quilt's outer border was removed and incorporated into at least one pillow cover which survives with the quilt.