Saturday, August 13, 2016

New Old Quilt



Not much sewing going on here the past two weeks. Completing two tops by the end of September might be a pipe-dream. However, an antique Triple Irish Chain came home with me last week. I wasn't shopping for an old quilt, but I couldn't leave this one behind - the condition is great and the price was right!





I took the quilt to a fabric study 'Show and Tell'. We are fortunate to have members with advanced knowledge in fabric dating. The consensus was mid 19th century - a popular color scheme of the mid 1800's (red/green/yellow). The brown was originally a chemically dyed green. The quiltmaker was very skilled - seams are exact and hand quilting is beautiful.











The last photo is the full quilt, but the pic is a little wonky. It's a beautiful quilt and I'm thrilled that I'm included in its list of caretakers. I'm on an Irish Chain roll!

Thursday, July 28, 2016

What's Next?

IMG_2874.JPG
The Double Irish Chain is complete.  I might add borders if    it becomes a back.  This is a partial shot of the top.  The top is square - 13 blocks.                   




















          
So, what's next?  I pulled two projects from hibernation to marry as front/back.  The Old Maid's Ramble has a lot of dark blue fabrics which are hard to discern in the photo.  The blocks finish at 17", so I only need 25.  This will be the front.  The shirting top is an antique quilt Bonnie Hunter posted on her blog years ago; she graciously gave me permission to recreate the quilt.  I'm targeting early September to get these to the quilter.                        

 Look at the great BD present from hubby!  The shop owner took buying trips to PA - I'm guessing that's where the doll bed originated.


 

Friday, July 15, 2016

Four Patch Roulette



The quilt bug found me in April.  Unfortunately, I only had scrap strips at hand.  I decided to make four patch blocks and worry about design when I was reunited with my stash.  The project became a Double Irish Chain.  I threw 340 four patch blocks in a large bag and left selection to chance (for the most part :).  The blocks went together quickly - each block constructed from four 'four patch' blocks, five constant patches and four selected patches.  The top is over halfway constructed!