Saturday, August 15, 2009

Colorado

You saw the start of this quilt last week. I'm about half done with the Colorado blocks. They piece up quickly - 8 hst and 4 flying geese. I'm using a quick piece method for both units. The hst method yields 8 units from one set of 5" squares - lots less cutting, too. I chain piece 5 blocks at a time. I'm sewing the alternate constant block to the right side of the pieced block as I go.

I'm planning on a pieced rick-rack border to transition from the pieced center to the outer border. I had enough of the alternate fabric to do a 4 patch checkerboard, but now that I've changed to the rick-rack border, I'll have to pick another fabric from stash. The blue strip is auditioning for the rick-rack band. The brown strip is a definite for the rick-rack/outer border.

I think I like this rick-rack combo better. If I'm going to all the trouble of sewing hundreds of qst, I want the border to stand out.

It's not a good idea to research border options in antique quilt books - I've added at least two quilts to the 'list'!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow...this one caught my attention! Love it!!