Sunday, July 15, 2012

Quilt Encounters

Jan and I attended the Shipshewana Quilt Festival in June.  Our visit included a lecture/trunk show by Rebecca Haarer on Amish quilts and a stop at the Goshen College Good Library antique quilt exhibit, Quilts from the Permanent Collection.  The gallery is tucked away in the library basement - we had the exhibit to ourselves. 








The trip included an overnight stay, so I brought along some of my Amish quilt books.  I kept returning to the crib quilt on pg 92 from Amish Crib Quilts from he Midwest: The Sara Miller Collection.  I looked for the perfect tomato red solid at Yoder's, but couldn't find the right color.  That's because the fabric match was in my stash!  The perfect border fabric was also in stash, but not enough yardage - will have to keep shopping - darn!


Update:  This morning was my first opportunity to surf the net in a few weeks.  It was the start to my belated birthday.  Serendipity - followed breadcrumbs to Quilts and Pieces blog and found a few posts about an antique quilt exhibit featuring cheddar - today was the last day for the exhibit.  It was worth the drive!  Quilts and Pieces has great pictures, so check out the exhibit on her blog - post one, post two, post three.

10 comments:

The Civil War Quilter said...

I'm happy to see you are a fan of Sara miller's quilts.She is a friend of mine and a dear sweet lady. I've had the pleasure of seeing her collection in her home before she sent it to England to show in a museum there a few years ago. Despite having sold and given away many quilts in her collection over the years, she still has a treasure of antique Old Order Amish quilts she has lovingly collected and preserved. Good luck finding that red, an unusual color for Amish to use.

cspoonquilt said...

What a nice show! I've never been to Yoders but it's on my list! cheers, Claire W.

Gypsy Quilter said...

Lovely. Thank you for sharing.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I'm so glad you got to see them! Weren't they wonderful! I"ve seen so many of Carol's quilts and they never disappoint!

Janet O. said...

I'm a Quilts and Pieces follower, so I have been enjoying her posts about these quilts.

Barb said...

what a fun overnight. I love the red and green nine patch in the exhibit. Good luck with the tomato red. Have you looked at Moda Bella solids or Amy Butlers solids?
How luck to see the cheddar quilts - weren't they wonderful?

Sherrill said...

Any idea what the blue quilt (block) in the 2nd picture is (behind the red-bordered quilt)? I LOVE that one. Thanks for sharing.

Dawn said...

What a fun road trip - and how great to have the exhibit to yourself! Hope the right red shows up.
Thanks for sharing!

Lori said...

Sounds like some fun stops you made on the way! Lucky you to see so many beautiful quilts!!

Eileen said...

I love Amish quilts. Several years ago I had the privilege of quilting with some Amish women and was that fun!