Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Design Wall/Crib Strippy 9 Patch

I am starting off the year with good intentions to complete some projects that have been on the back burner, so it's been back at work on my Texas Braid project. It was nearly a year since Bonnie Hunter came to our guild, and I took her class. I am happy with the way it is looking, but quite nervous about trimming, and sewing the rows together. There will be lots of bias, and no room for error. There is far to go before that point, though! A new, but tiny :), project - Lori's Quilt-Along hit the skids when I ran out of my main fabric due to a miscut. Vicki to the rescue with a fat quarter, so I will be able to finish this soon. Haven't made it to my sewing room for the last couple of days, but hope to this afternoon - after house cleaning :( I don't think that you've seen this little crib quilt before. It was folded, and hanging on my pew/quilt rack for maybe the last month. It is just jammed in there for the pic, so it looks a bit wonky.
It was time for a change, but I want to look at this toile backing for a day or two. I can pretend that I fan quilted a whole cloth quilt! Boy, you sure can see fold lines after such a short display time.



13 comments:

Gypsy Quilter said...

You may want to consider lightly starching your braid before trimming to help stabilize those bias edges. I'm working on one also and hope mine comes out fairly straight. Best of luck.

Dolly said...

I don't blame you a bit....toile makes me 'smoile'...... ;)

How do you joing the rows in that braid quilt? I understand how you will have bias edges all throughout the length of the rows if you just trim off the points. Is that what you do, and just sew the straight long edges together?

Shontelle said...

Your Texas braid is looking gorgeous!

Cheryl said...

That Texas braid looks challenging. Beautiful, though. My doll quilt stalled when I ran out of time. Hopefully, I'll get back to it. Yours is wonderful.

Maureen said...

Your little crib quilt is charming. Love it all - fabric, pattern and quilting!

Lori said...

I love the stripppy doll quilt!! And the backing is nice to look at.

I've never liked trimming the braids and sewing with all that bias. I'm not a gentle sewer or presser so I'd be in big trouble.

I hope you get your midnight stars done soon. I'm posting a linky thing tomorrow so we can see all the quilts! Yours is lovely.

Lisa said...

Oh my, that crib quilt is awesome! I could look at toile all day, too.

Vicki said...

Love, Love, Love the crib quilt!!!

*karendianne. said...

Oh those braids are so pretty. Your crib quilt is just perfect. I love the fabrics and the backing fabric makes the whole thing delightful.

Allyson said...

I love that Texas Braid. What a beautiful way to put some scraps together. I agree with the previous poster about starching. When I made my french braid quilt, I starched the life out of it and it was so easy to sew together. Seeing your progress makes me want to start one of those. I love the red chain down the center.

libbyquilter said...

i have been wanting to make a braid quilt for forever~love the way yours is coming along~!

your Midnight Stars quilt looks great . . . so happy that you turned up the fabric that you needed to finish.

:-)
libbyQ

Vivian said...

Wonderful projects, every one. My weekend goal--get Lori's quiltalong done.
I'm seeing Bonnie Hunter's projects all over the web. Her projects and ideas appeal to so many of us. I'm envious that you got to take a class with her. She seems to have non-stop energy and enthusiasm for quilting and quilters.

Dora, the Quilter said...

I love how these quilts are turning/have turned out. The stippy baby quilt really catches my imagination, probably because it reminds me of a log cabin but isn't one!