Tuesday, April 13, 2010

What's a Girl to Do?

When Bonnie Hunter comes to your guild, you sign up and take both classes that are offered, right? I wasn't UFO shopping, but just couldn't resist. Bonnie came to the guild, and was a really fun, and interesting speaker. Her quilts are so beautiful in person. Photos just don't do them justice. She brought 100 lbs. of quilts to show! After the meeting, she taught her String Spiderweb. You can see my meager start in the photo. We had to shorten the class length due to a very scary incident at the meeting. Bonnie wrote about it on her blog. Our class, therefore, ended up being just a couple of hours. I know, I know, I could have finished more than this in two hours time, but I'm pokey.
The next day was a full day class for the Pioneer Braid. This was really fun to do, too. I was a bit afraid of it at first because it seemed as if it would be hard to keep square, but there is no problem at all. I find that the unusual pieces of fabric in my collection look great in this. You know, the multi-colored fabrics, or kinda strange? If you find that you have an abundance of "who snuck this into my stash" fabrics, then you may consider this pattern. I think it's going to turn out dandy. I auditioned different colors for the square. Bonnie recommends red solid. Well, I tried poison green, black, brick red, and they just didn't work. I ended up with this red with a strong black polka dot. Sometimes nothing works but red. It just does things that no other color can quite do.
Recently, I bought this from Fat Quarter Quilt Shop. It was my first order with them, and I was very pleased with the way they do business. Really fast shipping, and nice packaging. Highly recommended! I just love this pattern, and will be shopping the stash soon to start this one!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great starts...fun pattern.
Would luv to take a class from Bonnie. She has not been up my way yet. Lucky you!

Gypsy Quilter said...

I'm looking forward to seeing how these lovely projects progress.

Karen said...

I have seen the Pioneer Braid on other blogs where they have taken Bonnie's class. I have never seen a bad one in the bunch. Looks like a good scrappy project.

Karen said...

Bonnie is so talented, how lucky you got her at your guild. Your string spiderweb is looking wonderful. Love the green. Hope to see the whole thing finished soon.

antique quilter said...

oh I love the start of both of these quilts and YES RED is the right color...
I have been thinking about making both of these quilts too!
birds eye looks interesting too!!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lori said...

I love what you have started in class. The string spiderweb is one of my favorites.

Sharon said...

Great start on stash quilts!Love the spiderweb, it is on my to-do list. It would be fun to have Bonnie come to our quilt guild...will have to keep her in mind for next year!

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

love that pioneer braid!! it doe s look complicated! great teacher!

Saska said...

I've finished the spiderweb...can't decide how to quilt it, and the braid is on my to-do list. Haven't figured out how it's made wide tho?

Celtic Heart said...

The braid is gorgeous. I've been feeling like trying something like that myself lately :)

Barb said...

Hi
the braid looks really great and fun. The string spiderweb is really cool - looking forward to seeing more of it!

Nan said...

I'm excited to take Bonnie's workshops in KS next month! :) But from looking at your little girl pics can't decide - is the first pic on Bonnie's webshots you two?

Jan said...

Nan, no, that's not me in the photo you mention!