Sunday, February 16, 2014

Postcard from Pax



 
I got caught in the snarled air travel from Pax.  My weekly commute includes two legs - I travel thru Charlotte to catch a prop plane to a small airport in eastern North Carolina.  I knew I wouldn't make it from the small airport to Charlotte, so I rented a car and drove five hours to increase my chances of getting home for the weekend.  My Indiana winter driving skills got me there safely.  I waited in line for two hours to get booked on a flight the next morning.  Unfortunately, there were no hotel rooms available - my only option was to spend the night at the airport. Amazingly, I had a quilt packed in my luggage!  I finished hand stitching the binding earlier in the week and the quilt was packed to bring home. 

Airports get pretty cold in the middle of the night.  I wrapped up and covered my head to get a bit of privacy.  I've only traveled with a quilt twice - someone was looking out for me!  Here's a peek at the back -

12 comments:

regan said...

This quilt is fantastic! I'm in love with the green.....so vibrant! Love it! And I'm so glad you arrived safely!

Kath said...

and no-one woke you to ask about the quilt? :-D
Lucky there were no quilty gls in the airport when you were al wrapped up in this beauty.
What a rotten time you had, I hope you are safe and warm back in your home again. By the way what did you call this quilt? something related to your adventure?

Nann said...

Patchwork on both sides? Neat! I especially like the "front" (top photo). Glad you made it home safely.

Chantal said...

It is so beautiful... no wait a minute... they are so beautiful! LOL. How do you know which one is the front? Where do you put a label on such a quilt? Seriously, they are gorgeous and I do not know which one I prefer. Great job! Thanks for sharing and glad you are safely home.
Chantal

Barb said...

what a travel nightmare. Glad you had a quilt to keep you warm! love this quilt - can't believe it has 2 beautiful sides = wonderful!

Taryn said...

I am still marveling that your winter driving skills are that good. My niece lives in Raleigh and sent pictures of the big travel jam from all the accidents. Fortunately, they were only 1.5 miles from home when they got stuck so they parked at a bank and hoofed it. The quilt is just beautiful! You poor thing, though, stuck all night in the Charlotte airport. Did you get one of the rocking chairs, at least?

Taryn said...

P.S. I found a good place for our early dinner/late lunch in April! And, I'll post more DAR pictures as soon as I get my camera connected.

Lori said...

So glad you made it home safely and snuggly with your wonderful quilt!

Janet O. said...

I kept looking back at the photos to see if I had missed something--where was a quilt back among those photos? Wow!! Great quilt. What a blessing to have had it along to enhance your resting place in the airport!

Jamie said...

An epic journey! The quilt is even prettier than when I saw the top. Love your colors on both! Dark quilts warm and true!

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading about your adventure, and also looking at the quilts too! You are soooOOOO clever!
Best wishes, Jay

Jeanne said...

What a beautiful quilt to keep you warm in the airport! Glad you made it home.