Thursday, July 18, 2013

Surprises at the Chicago Show

A bit of a late post, but I wanted to share some of my favorite quilts at the recent Chicago Show - yeah, it came back!  It was missed the last couple of years when it relocated to Ohio.
The surprise is that there were many modern quilts, and I was thrilled to see them.  The modern quilt movement is just incredible, in my opinion.  We are witness to an entirely new way of approaching the quilt medium.  It is so fresh, and, I must say, traces it's roots directly to the liberated methods of Gwen Marston.  I truly believe that she broke ground for what we are seeing.  I'm curious as to what you think.
Here are some of my favorites...
 Zinnia, by Lynn Harris of Chelsea, Michigan
 Hugs & Hugs, by Hannah Talecka of Columbia, Missouri
 Tilework, by Elizabeth Harvatine of Toluca Lake, California
 Down Pat, by Pat Budge of Garden Valley, Idaho
Cherry Blossoms #8, by Noriko Endo

6 comments:

Barb said...

I'm so glad there is a show in chicago again.
Great quilts I really really like the hugs and hugs quilt - so fun!

Dawn said...

I like modern quilts. I think they are very creative. Of the ones you posted I like the Nancy Crow looking one. I think there are lots of interesting "looks" in quilts that aren't repro I like. I just LOVE antique quilts.
Thanks for sharing.

Brenda said...

You're the first person who I've seen attributing the modern quilt movement to Marston. I think you're right -- and I also think many in the modern quilt movement think they invented it themselves. But all of us are influenced by the quiltmakers who came before us, even if we don't know it. Marston always makes that point in her books.

Aunt 'Reen said...

Such beautiful quilts!
I am extremely fond of the Cherry Blossoms quilt. Reminds me of Springtime here at home.

Anonymous said...

I concur that the quilts we make today, modern or otherwise, are modeled on what has come before. Gwen Marson has had a great influence but I think Nancy Crow also broke out the way to approach quilt making.

Some modern quilts are GREAT design and some are bla. It will be interesting to see where we are in 10 years.

One thing for sure, I won't be making "comments" in ten years as I won't be able to read the robot words....

Anonymous said...

These modern quilts are simply wonderful. I must say that my favorite piece is the last one of the Cherry blossoms. It is such a unique decision to make a quilt look like that. It appears as though you truly found some gems at this Chicago show. I also enjoyed the quilt with the circles it was simple but it popped.



Please Visit my website : Split-Site PhD