Saturday, September 15, 2012

Catch Up II

Me again - Blogger and Jan have been having words, so I'm sneaking in for a post.  We had a wonderful time in Elk Rapids, MI at Gwen's retreat - it's been about five years since we've made the trip.  Mother Nature blessed us with a sampler of weather - sunny warm temps to driving rain.  We visited favorite haunts and made new acquaintances.  The Elk Rapids Library is an idyllic spot on the edge of Lake Michigan.  It's filled with servicable antique chairs and tables and a wonderful sun porch overlooking Lake Michigan with a jigsaw puzzle scattered on an antique oak table waiting for attention.  We always find treasures in the basesment booksale room.  I'll miss the Elk Rapids Library!  Another favorite haunt is McLean and Eakin independant bookstore in Petoskey - love to explore the 'staff pick' section.  Bowties were my leader-ender project.  I added a nice group to my total.  I'm getting close to the target number to complete this top - Woo Hoo!

Liberated Medallions was the retreat topic.  Spending time with Gwen is a gift!  Jan was a 'smart cookie' and brought projects-in-flight.  I, on the other hand, added one more to the in-flight total.  I worked in solids, which I've collected over the years but have been hesitant to tackle.  My progress doesn't look impressive (since I made the star segments in advance), but those Y seams ain't easy.  The next border will be 'Corn and Beans' (making a zigzag around the center), but the scale of the two border blocks pictured is off - the blocks in the pic are 6 3/4" and the rescale is 4.5" (I think - need to recalculate).  The background of the center is an 'attention' color, but I plan to surround it with saturated darks.  I think the piece is successful because DH's comment was, "It doesn't look like you."

I always want to sew large Flying Geese at this time of year even though I have no project in mind.  Today I made a 6 x 3 sample.  I used the quick piecing method (1 large square for nose and 4 smaller squares for wings).  Considering the large size, I think I'll use the waste method and save the throw aways for a doll or crib quilt.  I'm thinking the Flying Geese will make a great back!





  
I've done a little seasonal decorating this weekend - Autumn is my favorite time of year.  Enjoy this beautiful season! 
 
 

12 comments:

Dora, the Quilter said...

The library/retreat sight sounds like a place I'd love.
I also very much like your seed picture on your mantle. Cross-stitch?

Mimi said...

So glad you have a good time with Gwen. I love that area of Michigan, too. Wish I could remember the great restaurant that we ate at several times (it was an old fire station converted to a restaurant ). Love your projects and your fall decorating.

Barb said...

Love your decorating.

regan said...

That stars quilt is going to be wonderful! I love the solids, and that 'pow' color for the background is awesome! Love it!

Vicki said...

The Shaker Seed print above the kitchen mantle is a reprint of an advertisement poster.

Dawn said...

Your retreat time sounds devine. Looking forward to seeing your project(s). Love your work in solids. I can hardly believe it is fall...
Thank you for sharing.

Lori said...

Nice work from your retreat! I look forward to seeing more of your solids medallion quilt!

Jeanne said...

Glad you had a great time at the retreat! How many bow ties are you aiming for before you call it complete?

Taryn said...

This was Gwen's last retreat, wasn't it? Sigh...I almost made it about three years ago. I like autumn weather (and the colors) but would love to find a way to skip winter. Like we did last year. ;)

Holly said...

I am so jealous! Going to one of Gwen's retreats would be great! I do follow her books, and am also making a medallion quilt from solid colors. (you can see it on my blog) I'm working on my third row now, and contemplating what to do next. I like your corn & beans, and would scale it back, but save the larger pieces for a border a few rows out--it might work then.

Barb said...

how did I miss this wonderful post?
I have to check with reader and see what is up.
I love the bow ties (one of my favorites!) and the stars.
Sounds like you had a great time with Gwen and I'm so glad you got to go to her last retreat.
our seasonal displays look beautiful!

Gebelik said...

Your website is in ability arresting and complete able written. I like the way it is organized and presented. Complete abridged and articulate.
Gebelik