I posted about log cabin blocks on my very first blog post. I've been saving 1 1/4" scrap strips for a long time. I don't think I've sewn a log cabin block since that post in 2009. While sewing 36 blocks in one sitting, I found that it's much easier to keep the blocks square if I start with 1 3/8" strips. I rough cut the strip length and square up after each log. The extra strip width leaves a little margin for error. Probably not news to anybody that makes these blocks, but thought it'd pass it along.
The original doll quilt was 48 blocks, but I thought I'd have a better chance of completing 36. I ended the day two rounds short. Finally, two weeks later I found some sewing time to finish up. These little guys are 4 1/2", so the quilt will measure 27" square.
The layout from the original doll quilt
A little re-arranging, but close to the original
Lots of options - I need a design wall.
Happy President's Day to you, Mr. Lincoln!