Tuesday, July 6, 2010

When All Else Fails...

I can always show you some doll quilts! This is one that I made, I see from the label, in 1997. The block was in one of those fabulous reference books like Barbara Brackman's or Yvonne Khin's, and it looked good to me, so I just sewed it up in some vintage 30s that I had. The fabric was in a bundle of thirties scraps from an auction, and they have been put to use in a couple of quilts. The backing is an old salt sack, of which I obtained a box full of those, too, along with sugar sacks, and printed feed sacks.







The little elephants quilt could be a crib, or a doll size. Crib quilts can be fairly small, and this is 25 inches square, which makes it a bit big for a doll quilt. Anyway, the care and detail in quilting shows lots of love, I think. The sashing was probably once an aqua, and the elephants originally had black yarn, or embroidery floss tails. The clamshell quilting in the outer border is a nice touch, and I just felt that this little sweetie needed rescuing, so home with me it went!

8 comments:

Barb said...

Soooooooooooooo cute!!

Lori said...

I love seeing doll quilts...well any quilt prety much!! Hahaha
Both of them are so cute!! How fun to work with vintage textiles.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

love the rescues!!! the elephants are funny and cute!

Karen said...

I am happy that you shared the doll quilts!

Sharon said...

Adorable little doll quilts! Love the feed sack backing!

Vivian said...

You're the second person in the last week who mentioned using an old flour/sugar sack for a backing or a background. I think I need to find mine and use them this way. They're no good at the bottom of a box.

Love the little quilts, and thanks for the inspiration.

Barb said...

what cuties! the elephants are so cheerful and funny = thanks for sharing